Low Carb Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- 1 pound ground chicken or ground turkey
- 8 scallions white and green part chopped
- 1 8oz can water chestnuts drained, rinsed and chopped fine
- 1 red bell pepper chopped fine
- ¼ cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2½ tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp ginger from a jar or fresh grated ginger, see shopping tips
- 1 tbsp water
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 large head butter lettuce wash, dried and leaves separated
- ¼ cup reduced-sodium soy sauce Tamari for gluten-free
- 2 tbsp seasoned rice vinegar or rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp sugar
- ½ tbsp ginger from a jar or fresh minced ginger
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- ½ tsp garlic from a jar or fresh minced garlic
- In a large pan, brown the ground chicken over medium-high heat, breaking up the pieces. Pour into a colander, in the sink and drain fat. Return chicken to pan. When cool enough to handle, break up the chicken pieces until minced.
- Add scallions, water chestnuts, red pepper, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, ginger, water and sesame oil. Cook for a few minutes until the scallions and red pepper are soft. Keep warm.
- In a small bowl, add all the dipping sauce ingredients and mix well.
- To assemble each chicken wrap: Spoon about ⅓ cup of chicken filling onto one lettuce leaf and roll it up, if desired. Serve with dipping sauce on the side. This sauce is quite strong. You’ll only need 1 teaspoon of sauce per wrap. You can also set up the components on individual plates and serve family style. Let everyone make their own wrap.
Makes about 16 lettuce wraps
Each wrap has only 62 calories and 2 grams of fat.